Friday, October 12, 2012

Liz Goodchild: (Very) Long distance runner and inner badass unleasher


I'm Liz!  I run, I write, and I have wild hair. I recently forayed into the world of ultra-marathons and have the black toenails to prove it.  If I'm not busy unleashing my inner badass, I can usually be found eating tofu laced with chili and ginger or googling pictures of Jillian Michaels and wishing I had her abs.  This photo was taken at Home Park, in the grounds of Hampton Court Palace.  It's my favourite place to run because the views are simply breathtaking!

1. I started running 2 years ago and it's deepened my connection with myself in a way that no therapist/self-help book ever could.
2. I run because I feel free and happy when I do so, and I wear a pair of Asics 2170’s.
3. The last run I did was a 50K race. (!)  It was grueling because it was 50 whole kilometres long, and hey, 50 kilometres is a really long way.
4. My current fave bit of kit is my bright blue calf compression sleeves.  And yes, I may look like a 5 year old school-girl when wearing them, but my calves now love me.
5. I'm training for a 10K race in December. I’m aiming for a sub-45 finish.  
6. Running made me feel alive the minute I set one foot in front of the other on my very first run.  I’ve never looked back.
7. I'm currently listening to Pink’s new album, The Truth About Love, when I run.  It makes me happy!
8. I participate in massive amounts of Twitter banter and it has helped me meet other like-minded people who don’t raise an eyebrow/fall asleep when I discuss my IT Band pain/marathon training plans. 
9. I started drinking chocolate soya milk after running and it's changed my post-race fuelling habits.   I would definitely recommend it.  
10. I'm currently obsessed with running faster and stronger and it's keeping my running addiction fresh and new/making me want to tell others about it.
11. I'm bringing hill running to this blog, and throwing it down on the table.  I've just discovered it and it's working for me.  Want to improve your speed? Go find a hill and run up and down it for 30 minutes.
12. I'm currently having issues with not having enough money to sign up for ALL THE RACES EVER - can anyone offer any tips? 

Finally, here's my inspirational quote.  It gets me going.  Now go, run!



No comments:

Post a Comment