Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Beki Cadd: Runner, geophysicist and book-listener!

Next up is not-so-wheezy Beki, a newbie runner with a mixed bag of 10ks on the horizon.  If you're thinking of starting up running I'm sure she'll make you feel inspired.  She certainly made me want to get off my butt and go for a run. 

Hi! I’m Beki and my blog is called Miss Wheezy- this stems from my asthma, and the noise I used to make whenever I tried to do any sort of exercise!

I’m a geophysicist and work for an Oil and Gas exploration company- I moved from Norfolk to London/Surrey only a couple of months ago, and am still settling in and trying to find new places to run and make new running friends.


1. I started running not even a year ago, and I’m still surprised at my decision!
2. I run because I want to prove I can, as an asthmatic, and someone who hated running for the way it made me feel weak and incapable in school. I’ve been wearing a pair of Mizuno Wave Nexus for the past year, but have recently bought some Brooks Ravennas to try- they’re a similar motion control shoe.
3. The last run I did was 4.5miles around Bushy Park- it’s really nice that there are so many green spaces in London, and I love running past the Queen’s deer!
4. My current favourite bit of kit is my Garmin Forerunner 10- it was a Christmas present from my boyfriend (after much unsubtle hinting!) and it’s made my running so much simpler as I don’t need to try and figure out how far or fast I’ve run.
5. I’m training for several 10ks at the moment, including She Runs Windsor and Nike We Own The Night as well as the Energizer Night Run 5k in London.
6. Running made me feel alive and proud of my body, when I crossed the finish line at the Race for Life Twilight 5k last year- it was my first “race” and while not timed, I ran the whole way – an amazing sense of achievement.
7. I’m currently listening to “The Kingmaker’s Daughter” by Philippa Gregory when I run. I do love music too for boosting my mood, but on longer runs I like to zone out and listen to an audiobook. I get so caught up in the story!
8. I don’t currently participate in any running clubs, but have been to a couple of 5k Park Runs and would definitely recommend them.
9. I started eating a lot of nut butter to fuel my running! My favourite breakfast is porridge with mashed banana, chia seeds and peanut butter; it keeps me going all morning.
10. I’m currently obsessed with new running gear, and am trying to stop myself buying lots of colourful new kit for Spring!
11. I’m bringing foam rolling to this blog and throwing it down on the table. I’ve just discovered it and although painful, I believe it’s really helpful in massaging my muscles and working out any tightness.
12. Finally, here’s my inspirational quote. Now go, run!



1 comment:

  1. I lovelovelovelovelove this blog and can't wait to meet everyone on Sunday at Write this Run!

    ReplyDelete